Week one complete! Overall, I feel really good. I don’t seem to be having any die-off reactions (headaches, fatigue, bloating), but the sugar cravings are still going strong! I honestly don’t remember them being so intense, but then again it’s been a year since I last did the diet. Drinking plenty of water with lemon, or chewing a piece of sugar-free gum, seems to get me through these afternoon urges. I feel like it’s somewhat of a mental game too. I know I can’t have it, so I want it more.
The key is to be well prepared. Not only for the die-off symptoms, but for the change of the diet itself. Because the food list is limited, you may find yourself getting hungry often. Planning meals and snacks ahead of time will really help you get through this diet successfully.
Below is a list of some of my go-to candida-friendly snacks that will help keep your ravenous paws off those sugar-laden treats.
- Celery Sticks with Almond Butter
- Roasted Nuts: Almonds, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts
- Vegetables with Hummus (the more garlic, the better)
- Mary’s Gone Super Seed Crackers with Hummus or Guacamole
- Avocado “Toast” made with Brown Rice Cakes
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Full Fat Plain Greek Yogurt with Nuts/Seeds/Coconut/Homemade Granola
- Coconut & Almond Balls
- Chia Pudding with Berries
- Coconut Milk Matcha or Turmeric Lattes (great for after dinner )
You’ll notice from Social that I LOVE celery and almond butter as a mid-morning snack. This is probably my number one because celery is full of water and fiber, and almond butter provides the healthy fat I need to keep me full and satisfied in between meals.
Whether you are on the Candida Diet or not, these are really great snack options to get you through the day. I hope you try some of them!
Now, onto week two…